Commissioning

Capital Project Management

Commissioning

Building owners are often hindered by the lack of effective and efficient communication during the design, construction and commissioning stages, resulting in unnecessary costs and operational inefficiencies. The ARCHIBUS Commissioning application helps solve this problem by capturing and coordinating graphic and non-graphic data – including Building Information Modeling (BIM), as-builts, shop drawings, maintenance manuals, space, and equipment information – in one central repository. The application makes all data elements searchable and accessible for viewing using a Web browser or a mobile device. And the application correlates all the information to confirm a facility and its systems meet the as-designed specifications. ARCHIBUS Commissioning also helps lower the costs associated with claims and corrective actions, as well as optimize downstream building system performance.

Streamline the Commissioning Process

By conservative estimates, a properly commissioned building costs 8% less to operate than a non-commissioned one. But the commissioning process can often be highly resource-intensive and error-prone. For example Revit, Navisworks, COBie, preventive maintenance, space / occupancy and other information cannot be easily accessed, updated, shared and consolidated in a consistent format. ARCHIBUS Commissioning provides the seamless link in collecting, coordinating, and sharing critical information to verify that a new facility meets specifications and that an established facility is maintained cost-efficiently throughout its lifecycle.

Identify and Correct Problems Early

Based on ASHRAE experience, a good commissioning process can result in a reduction of construction-related claims from 2-20%. ARCHIBUS Commissioning assists in discovering flaws in design or construction before the owner accepts the building. Doing so helps avoid blame-shifting between the owner, designer, and construction contractor. Once a building has been handed off, commissioning also helps anticipate and address subsequent occupancy and maintenance issues to ensure operating efficiency and optimize the work environment for occupants.

Reduce Post-Occupancy Maintenance Costs

According to BOMA cost data in the US, commissioning a new building can achieve preventive maintenance savings ranging from 15-35%. ARCHIBUS Commissioning provides the information bridge to ensure the proper deployment of complex building systems and maintenance practices. The end-result is fewer start-up issues and maintenance errors / omissions providing seamless information transfers using Web Services.

Optimize Downstream Building Performance

During the 30-year lifecycle of a building, only about 25% is attributed to design / construction expense. The remaining 75% is operational cost, so lowering it has the largest impact on overall lifecycle cost savings. According to a California Commissioning Collaborative study, up to 11% in energy savings can be achieved with commissioning. ARCHIBUS Commissioning provides the tools to support energy and operational cost savings at newly constructed buildings as well as during recommissioning of existing buildings.

Benefits

  • Streamlines the verification process that a facility and its systems meet the as-designed specifications and owner requirements
  • Provides the mechanism to identify and correct problems early in the design / build process
  • Reduces costs associated with post-occupancy troubleshooting, claims, and corrective work
  • Optimizes downstream building performance by providing the tools to support continuous improvement in energy and operational cost savings

Activities and Reports

  • Commissioning Project Scoreboard
  • Commissioning Project Closeout Console
  • Manage Commissioning Project Pipeline
  • Manage Commissioning Checklists
  • Equipment Assessments by Classification Level
  • Highlight Floor Plans with Commissioning Issues
  • Equipment Details
  • Equipment by Warranty
  • Equipment by Insurance Policy

ARCHIBUS Commissioning helps ensure smooth deployment of complex building systems and maintenance practices, resulting in fewer start-up issues and maintenance errors / omissions.